To act as an advocacy and advisory group to the Department on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our activities include advising on policy, promoting dialogue on DEI issues at all levels of the department, and helping develop the department’s strategic goals in regard to DEI.
- Provided recommendations to the Department Head regarding anti-racism training for faculty and staff, planned to occur early next academic year.
- Passed a requirement for all undergraduate students to take at least one course from a block of courses focusing on BIPOC theatre traditions and histories. This requirement is in addition to the University General Education Diversity Requirement, ensuring that students engage these topics within their primary area of study.
- Compiling a list of resources to help faculty in their efforts to diversify and decolonize their curriculum.
Current and Ongoing Activities:
- Initiating dialogue with students about where the department needs to improve in its DEI efforts and what students view as priorities (initial sessions are being scheduled as we speak – announcements coming!)
- Continuing to promote and pursue anti-racism training opportunities for all members of our community.
- Developing and enacting plans for recruiting and supporting students, faculty, and staff from a wide range of backgrounds and held identities.
- Helping the department improve cultural competency, to create a welcoming environment for all of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Compiling a list of play publishers, rightsholders, and sources to help CRT find and consider plays not represented by the largest rights-holding houses.
- Holding ourselves in the committee and in the department accountable for action and progress.
We welcome your thoughts, comments, questions, and continued accountability. Please feel free to reach out to members of the committee.
Nisha Joshee Hardnett and Lindsay Cummings, Co-Chairs